Almost everyone who gets into this magnificent hobby of keeping an aquarium begins with artificial food for the fish. These foods are perfect as they provide all the nutrients and vitamins required for the fish to live a healthy life. But as they are manufactured by companies they will have some additives.
So making fish food at home is always the best option. There are a lot of veggies that fish eat which are readily available. Combine all those to make fish food and you are not required to buy food from aquarium shops at all. You just need to have the time and patience for it.
In this article, you will find the best ways or methods to make a nutritious meal for your finned buddies.
Why prepare fish food at home?
Fish foods are a must if you own an aquarium. It is through the foods that your fish get the nutrients and vitamins necessary for a smooth and healthy life. You may save a lot of money by producing your fish food at home. If you have some leftover vegetables that you don’t want to use, you can use them to prepare fish food.
Almost everything from vegetables to fruits, fish can eat most of them. The food made at home is always the best. So make it a habit to save it since you can use it to feed your fish. Therefore, you don’t have to throw away unwanted substances. Store it and make foods for your fish with it.
When you prepare fish food at home, you have complete control over the ingredients you resort to in making the food. Dry flakes purchased in stores for your fish are a result of exposure to a train of processes while being manufactured. It is obvious from the occurrence of them not going bad that some additives are used in process of manufacture.
You can make out the proportions by yourself and not add anything in excess amount. Hence, contributing to the health of your fish. By making foods at home, your fish will get the pure necessary nutrients with any kind of additives.
How to make homemade fish food?
1. With Egg Yolks
- You can also make a portion of food by just using eggs. Well, not eggs just egg yolks.
- Put 5 or 6 eggs to a boil and the temperature will have to be hard-boiled. After you’re done boiling them, peel them and separate the whites from the yolk.
- Get a strainer or a sieve. Push the yolks through the sieve into a container beneath. You will get a powder of egg yolks.
- After you are done with getting them through the sieve. Put them on a pan and heat them. Keep stirring to avoid them from burning. Keep them on heat until they become completely dry.
There you have it, your fish food just from the yolks is ready.
2. Oats and veggies
The ingredients that you must have to make this food are: Plain Gelatin, Frozen Peas, Spinach, Cucumber, and Oats
How to prepare:
- First of all, you must clean the vegetables and make them parasite-free if there are any. Rinse them and then blanch them. This will ensure that your food is safe for the fish to eat.
- Then follows the puree. Make a puree of the vegetables and then add oats to it.
- Next, get your hands on the gelation and put it in a bowl with hot water. Mix it thoroughly. After you feel you have mixed it enough add the gelatine and water mixture to your puree.
- Then put it in the freezer on ice cube trays or any container. When it is time to feed your fish, simply take it out, and grate it, or cut it into pieces and give it to your fish.
3. Vitamin Rich
For this fish food, the ingredients you need are: Garlic, Gelatine, Seafood, Water, Fish Vitamins and Spinach, Lettuce, Brussel Sprouts, or any vegetables you like.
- Gather all the vegetables and cut them anyhow you like. Then after cutting them, you will have to blanch them. After finishing blanching, let them sit for them to become cold.
- Bring out your blender and then make a puree. Also, remember to add garlic while you’re grinding it or you can put the garlic in the vegetables before adding it to the blender. Meanwhile, make a mixture of gelatine and hot water.
- After they have been pureed, add some drops of the vitamin. Then add the gelatine to the veggie puree.
- After that take them to the freezer. Now that they will be frozen, cut bits and pieces and give them to your fish once it’s time to feed them.
- This recipe is full of protein. If your fish are growing slowly you can make this food. The protein will help them grow.
4. Protein shake
The ingredients for a protein-rich food are: Shrimp, Peas, Carrot, Salmon, Gelatine, Spinach, and garlic.
Method of preparation
- Get yourself everything and then clean them. Chop them up and then put them in a container.
- Next comes the blender. Get your chopped mixture of ingredients and then put them in the blender. Blend them until it becomes a smooth puree.
- Now gather some gelatine and hot water. Mix it well and then add the puree to it. Get the mixture into a pan and heat it for about 40 minutes.
- After that let it get cold and then fill your ice tray with it. Put it in the freezer and use it when required.
5. Protein Shake #2
This one is also protein-rich but doesn’t involve cooking. For this the ingredients are: Spinach, Shrimp, Cod, Crab, Peas, and Cucumber.
- Get everything, clean them thoroughly, and chop them. This is followed by making a puree.
- Get all the chopped pieces in a blender and then wait for it to become a puree. Simultaneously make a gelatine mixture with hot water and gelatine.
- Mix the puree and the gelatine mixture. Then get your ice trays and put the puree in them. Put it in the freezer and then give them to your fish when it’s time for food.
This homemade food is for carnivorous fish. Resort to this method if you have carnivorous fish species.
The ingredients for this are: Gelatine, Shrimp, Whitefish, Spinach, Lettuce, Broccoli, and Carrots.
- First off, clean every component thoroughly. Then blanch the vegetables for some time. Make sure you have cleaned the fish and shrimp properly.
- Then first off blend the vegetables and make a puree out of it. After the veggies, you will have to make a puree of the fish and shrimp as well.
- Then make a gelatine mixture of gelatine and hot water. Then mix the two puree and the gelatine mixture. Next comes putting them to an icetray and moving them to the freezer.
- Feed it whenever the time for their food comes.
It is as easy as pie to make homemade fish foods. The items required to make them are easily available, and all the methods are not much time-consuming.
Making fish food by yourself shows how much you value your fish. It is healthy for your fish. They can have a grandeur of natural foods rather than processed ones if you make their own food.
“Our website contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission if you click on or make a purchase through these links. This comes at no additional cost to you. We only recommend products and services that we believe will provide value to our readers and visitors. These affiliate relationships help support and maintain our website, allowing us to continue providing valuable content. Your support is greatly appreciated, and we thank you for trusting our recommendations. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.”
- Fish Tank2 years ago
How Many Fishes Can you Keep in your Fish Tank?
- Fish2 years ago
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Safe for Fish?
- Cleaning2 years ago
How to Clean a Fish Tank Glass? Step By Step Process
- Cleaning2 years ago
How Do you Clean Aquarium Gravel?
- Fish2 years ago
20 Best Fish breeds for your Aquarium
- Acrylic Aquarium2 years ago
Which Aquarium is Better – Glass or Acrylic?
- Cleaning2 years ago
How to disinfect your Aquarium?
- Fish2 years ago
How Do You Know When Fishes Are Hungry?